William Smart is the founder and creative director of Smart Design Studio, a 40-person practice based in Sydney.
In this episode, we discussed:
- The challenges that William and the team faced as the practice grew, and why William found hiring a skilled general manager early in the journey was key to their success.
- How William was able to win his first multi-residential projects, and William shared his tips for getting your foot in the door in this highly competitive space.
- Why it’s important to build a profile in the industry with a broad marketing strategy, and not just focus on reaching the next client.
- How William thinks about the studio’s unique selling points, and why it can be a good thing for an architect to have a signature approach that ties their projects together.
- Why it’s important for architects to spend time educating their clients about design, and how we, as a profession, can better engage with the public and promote the value of what architects do.